Saturday, February 5, 2011

Matthew 20:27

The lecture on Monday focused on servant leadership.  Honestly, I don't think I'd ever considered that there were other approaches to leadership besides serving those you lead.  Maybe I had, but the whole servant leadership concept is so soundly right that I've since forgotten all other less adequate methods of leading.  And I recognize that there are plenty of examples of leaders who led selfishly without regard for their people, but I tend to discredit those because I'd like to think I wouldn't have followed them.  In my book, servant leadership is the only authentic leadership there is.

Leadership is about influencing those around you in the direction of a common vision.  Serving and loving others and "getting on their good side" seems like the best, most practical, effective, and engaging way to influence them.  I think about the people for whom I would do anything and realize that I would do anything for them because I know they would do anything for me.  Service is love in action.  It's proof that you'll be there when they need you and it's a major building block of trust.  If you want people to follow you, then you have to prove yourself worthy of following.

King Benjamin comes readily to mind when we talk about servant leaders.  He worked for his own support and led his people by loving example.  Everything he did was in their best interest so they trusted him.  When the people have confidence in their leaders, tranquility abounds because the people feel safe and secure.  When the people trust their leader and their leader is worthy of that trust, then peace reigns because the people feel safe and their leader will lead them right.  The peace and happiness that those people enjoyed would not have been possible under a corrupt, selfish leader.  I'm not even sure that I can explain that because it's so intuitively clear.  "With great power comes great responsibility." I've always heard that quote attributed to Spiderman's uncle, but the concept is as old as reason.  One who has power cannot be self-absorbed and irresponsible and non-responsive to the needs of others and still expect to be lastingly effective.

So how will I apply servant leadership to my leadership role?  I couldn't fail to apply it since service and leadership are essentially interchangeable, especially in the church.  Everything we do in positions of church leadership is focused on serving and lifting and guiding our brothers and sisters.  Everything I do as part of my calling is to help identify the needs of my sisters and to take care of them.  From the very name of our organization (the Relief Society) it's clear that we exist to serve each other, to relieve burdens.  As the secretary, I help the presidency keep track of who needs relief, who need serving, and who needs to serve.  Service is a double-sided blessing; giving it is as relieving as receiving it.

Quote of the week, and perhaps of my life: "What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?" -George Eliot

3 comments:

  1. Random add in: I found this Joseph Smith quote that seemed to fit really well.

    "Nothing is so much calculated to lead people to forsake sin as to take them by the hand and to watch over them in tenderness. When persons manifest the least kindness and love to me, O what pow'r it has over my mind."
    — Joseph Smith Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Hannah, I love reading your posts because they are always so deep and motivating. I especially loved your second paragraph though. It is so true that those who I would do anything for would also do the same for me. They are my true friends and I love them. As I look back on how those friendships started... I see constant patterns of little acts of service here and there that lead us to that ultimate friendship. I think that this idea of serving with love is one of the best qualities that a leader can possess. I know that especially in our callings, love is the best/only way to really get across to someone. When you love others and serve them, they feel accepted into your heart. I feel like if I strive to serve others with that characteristic of sincere love, more people will feel inclined to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your quotes... and your whole message, Hannah. :)

    ReplyDelete