Saturday, March 26, 2011

Different Times Call for Different Measures: Situational Leadership

Initially, I thought this model was kind of dumb and I think the presented explained it backwards, or I was just super tired (probably that one) but the more I think about it, the more I like it.  I've started looking at it as a progressive curve that outlines the path of the maturing follower.  Sure, there will be some fluidity because followers won't steadily progress all the time, they will slip up on occasion.  And the leader won't always be infallible either, though in the examples I consider the leaders are solid (my parents, almost never wrong, and God, never ever wrong.)  Maybe this is a stretch, but I think I remember something about my TA saying I'm allowed to just run with it. ; )

Ok, this is the model.  I think it will make better sense if I let it speak for itself at first because when our presenter tried to explain it, he lost me pretty quick.

So there it is, folks.  As we develop our leadership and as our followers increase in their capacity to follow, we move from a directing style through coaching and supporting to delegating which is a much more follower-dependent style. 

One way I've thought about this model is how it relates to parenting and a child growing up.  When I was younger, my parents had to direct me in everything I did.  I did not have the maturity or life-experience/know-how to direct myself.  As I got older, I became gradually more capable and could have a voice in the decision-making process; I grew into a candidate for coaching rather then merely directing.  Fast forward a few years to when I have a pretty good handle on life, I can mostly make my own decisions so I counsel with my parents before I decide what I'm going to do and how.  They give me counsel and then support my decision, provided it was a wise one.  (They never support my foolish choices. Thank heaven for that.)  At this point in my life, I've learned so much from making decisions with my parents, that I have the confidence and competence to, for the most part, choose the path they  they would counsel me to take even if I don't actually get to counsel with them beforehand.  As I've grown up, I've become a more independent, yet in-tune follower.  As we reach the end of the curve, the followers have such a good handle on what the leader wants to see happen and they have adopted that vision as their own so they can be trusted to be almost entirely self-directed.  My dad talks about his kids as either in the "asset" column or the "liability" column.  As we grow up and become more independent and wise, we get to progress from the liability column to the asset column.

Now, the logical follow up for that thought is, what happens when all the world becomes in-tune with our Eternal leader enough to be trusted with His work?  Super awesome things happen, that's what.  When humanity (God's children) increase in maturity and knowledge to the point where all of us act, of our own accord, in the way God (our Father) would have us act, we will have built Zion. 

And, as my leadership role is in the building up of the Church, getting us all to Zion is among my primary objectives.  With this in mind, I think it's important for leaders to have a strong, divine-centered foundation.  After all, as leaders, we teach and train our followers to think and act as we would so we must first think and act as He would.  And once we are built on the rock of our Redeemer, we cannot fall. (Helaman 5:12)  When we are securely anchored in Christ, then we can reach out to others, those who follow our example, and meet them wherever they are on the path.  If they need directing, we lovingly direct them as Christ would.  When they have enough grounding and maturity to be coached, we coach them.  As the approach the point where they can mostly make wise choices, we counsel and strengthen them in their choices.  And when they are capable enough to choose well on their own, we support and sustain them because effectively, we have taught and led them as far as we needed to and now they join us as leaders to nurture others.

So in my role, as I continue to make sure I'm on the rock, I need to meet people where they are.  Some of our girls need our coaching and direction because they aren't seeing (and feeling) the big picture yet.  These are the girls who need extra-attention; for them, our leadership style needs to be more involved.  Knowing how to reach each heart is something we have to do by prayer and revelation because it's going to be different for each one.  On the other hand, a lot of our girls are steadfast and immovable, always taking care of their sisters and consistently attending church.  These are the girls we rely on as a presidency.  These are the girls we know we could ask to do anything for their sisters and they would.  These are the girls who don't need much from us except continued love and support.  They're already doing what we're here to help them do.  (Let me offer a huge cyber shout-out of thanks to all our girls like that.  Thank you! We love you!)

Quote of the week:  "Leadership is about what you do and what you leave behind." -David A. Bednar
(My thought/reason for this quote: when we lead well, we leave behind other well-equipped leaders to take the reigns when we move on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment