Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lessons learned, lessons to learn

Assignment #2: Recap what we talked about in our lecture last Monday and apply it to our leadership roles.

For part of the class we watched clips from various movies and talked about the different leadership qualities we identified in each of the characters.  We came up with a sizable list of admirable qualities, all of which are important to the successful leader, but what I'm taking away from that lecture is that there is something to learn from everyone.  From Lord of the Rings to Evan Almighty to A Bug's Life, there are qualities in all kinds of different people and characters that I can and ought to learn from.  My parents, my friends, my professors, and everyone I know has something I can learn from.  There are seemingly limitless definitions of leadership and innumerable qualities associated with it so it's a good thing we are all surrounded by others who can help us learn.  As someone new to the RS presidency, I have oodles to learn.  As a college kid, there are mountains upon mountains of things I don't know yet.  Just as a person, there are soooooo many lessons I've yet to learn.  It can be overwhelming.  But then I think of all the people I know and all the good qualities they have and I suddenly feel lucky and relieved.  I'm surrounded by excellent people who have wonderful qualities of service and leadership.  If I keep my mind and heart open, then theoretically, there's no limit to what I can learn from them.

Quote of the day: (yes, I'm stealing Nat's quote of the day idea, wait, let me rephrase that.  I'm watching her success and learning from it. ; ) Plus, I have a great one today that fits really well with my topic.)   "Whoever told you that experience is the best teacher was wrong.  Somebody else's experience is the best teacher." -Adam Davis

1 comment:

  1. Great job! Fantastic thoughts, just the right length, great application. Next time try to apply more specifically to YOUR leadership role as secretary, though. :)

    ReplyDelete