Tuesday, January 11, 2011

my leadership role...

Welcome to my leadership blog! =)  Our first assignment is to define our leadership role and I'm already at a loss.  The syllabus defines a leadership role as "any role where you are in a position of influence over others."  We talked about 360 degree leadership and how we influence EVERYONE with whom we come in contact.  So my leadership role could be ANYTHING.  What to choose?  Maybe this sounds like a cop out answer, but in all honesty, my strengths as a person and therefore as a leader lie in the quiet, behind the scenes type of work.  I'm not shy, I just work better when people aren't watching me.  I love watching other people shine on center stage and knowing that I helped them get there.  That said, my leadership roles might be subtle.

My most significant leadership role is in my family--I'm the oldest of eight kids.  And yes, I've grown up under the friendly threat of "do anything wrong and you'll lead all your little siblings astray."  I guess you'd have to ask my siblings about my leadership style there.  I don't think I was too bossy, most of the time.  But working at that leadership role in a long distance sort of way isn't what I want to focus on for this class.  If I haven't made my mark on those little cuties by now, whoops!

Ruling out the familial leadership role for distance purposes, I have chosen to focus on my church calling--Relief Society secretary.  We had a training meeting on Sunday where our adviser said that while the secretary works behind the scenes, the work she does if done well enables the entire organization to work at a happier level.  It plays right to my strengths, though I have every assurance that I will learn things I never expected.

Here goes!

2 comments:

  1. I would have to agree... you do work best when you are not being constantly watched over. I think you will do a wonderful job in your new calling as secretary. I know you pretty well and you are very organized and keep up on the important facts. This leadership position gives you the chance to silently serve others. The simple acts of service that go unnoticed are some of the most impactful. The truth is, every organization (church) needs people like you to keep them running. You are going to do a WONDERFUL job!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I admire you so much, and I am beyond excited to have you in my section. Great job picking a role. :)

    ReplyDelete